• Login
Friday, May 22, 2026
Geneva Times
  • Home
  • Editorial
  • Switzerland
  • Europe
  • International
  • UN
  • Business
  • Sports
  • More
    • Article
    • Tamil
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Editorial
  • Switzerland
  • Europe
  • International
  • UN
  • Business
  • Sports
  • More
    • Article
    • Tamil
No Result
View All Result
Geneva Times
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Editorial
  • Switzerland
  • Europe
  • International
  • UN
  • Business
  • Sports
  • More
Home Europe

Spain to launch largest-ever forest fire campaign after record losses

GenevaTimes by GenevaTimes
May 21, 2026
in Europe
Reading Time: 2 mins read
0
Spain to launch largest-ever forest fire campaign after record losses
0
SHARES
0
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter



Prime Minister Pedro Sánchez on Thursday presented what he called Spain’s biggest-ever campaign against forest fires after deadly blazes devoured a record amount of land last year.

Spain is one of the southern European countries on the front line of climate change as higher average temperatures stoke heatwaves, droughts and forest fires.

The country sweltered through its hottest summer on record in 2025, when almost 400,000 hectares of land went up in smoke, the highest figure registered by the European Forest Fire Information System.

“We will put in place all the resources” available to the government “to mitigate this emergency situation as much as possible and to prevent it happening again on this scale”, Sánchez said at the Torrejón airbase outside Madrid.

He described the preparations as “the state’s largest deployment for an anti-fires campaign… because we are also aware that, unfortunately, this threat is growing”.

The tools include new helicopters and planes, amphibious aircraft, drones, vehicles, heat cameras and advanced surveillance systems to tackle blazes that strike “with greater force, greater virulence” and are harder to extinguish, Sánchez said.

The interior ministry said the official forest fire season would be brought forward by two weeks to June 1 for the second year running to respond to the danger.

READ ALSO: How Spain’s deadly wildfires have ignited a political blame game

Sánchez also announced greater coordination between levels of government to respond more effectively to fires, a frequent source of political friction in Spain’s decentralised system as regions are primarily responsible for emergency management.

The worst-affected regions during last summer’s blazes — Galicia, Castilla y León and Extremadura — are run by the right, sparking recriminations with the leftist central government.

“This battle… is won together with unity, with institutional loyalty, and not with confrontation,” Sánchez said.

“Fire does not distinguish between administrations, it does not ask who governs,” the Socialist leader added, reiterating a plea for “a national pact against the climate emergency”.

READ ALSO: How to find out where Spain’s active wildfires are

Read More

Previous Post

Advance Auto Parts Stock Surges 19.63% to $61.30 After Strong Q1 Earnings Beat

Next Post

Swiss finance minister urges banks to contribute to stability

Next Post
Swiss finance minister urges banks to contribute to stability

Swiss finance minister urges banks to contribute to stability

ADVERTISEMENT
Facebook Twitter Instagram Youtube LinkedIn

Explore the Geneva Times

  • About us
  • Contact us

Contact us:

editor@thegenevatimes.ch

Visit us

© 2023 -2024 Geneva Times| Desgined & Developed by Immanuel Kolwin

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Editorial
  • Switzerland
  • Europe
  • International
  • UN
  • Business
  • Sports
  • More
    • Article
    • Tamil

© 2023 -2024 Geneva Times| Desgined & Developed by Immanuel Kolwin