• Login
Friday, August 21, 2026
Geneva Times
  • Home
  • Editorial
  • Switzerland
  • Europe
  • International
  • UN
  • Business
  • Sports
  • More
    • Article
    • Tamil
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Editorial
  • Switzerland
  • Europe
  • International
  • UN
  • Business
  • Sports
  • More
    • Article
    • Tamil
No Result
View All Result
Geneva Times
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Editorial
  • Switzerland
  • Europe
  • International
  • UN
  • Business
  • Sports
  • More
Home Europe

Spain expands Ceuta migrant shelters to ease crisis

GenevaTimes by GenevaTimes
August 21, 2026
in Europe
Reading Time: 2 mins read
0
0
SHARES
0
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter



The Spanish government announced on Thursday the creation of shelters for 1,800 migrants in Ceuta in a bid to relieve the humanitarian crisis there following last month’s influx from Morocco.

Some 72,000 migrants breached the border in an unprecedented and deadly rush into the north African territory on July 30-31, with 70,000 having since returned to Morocco, according to Spanish government figures.

But the thousands who remain — including unaccompanied children who cannot be summarily deported — are struggling to access food, water, shelter and sanitation while the tiny city’s resources are overwhelmed.

Many have spent the past three weeks sleeping on the streets or on the beach, with NGOs warning that women and girls are particularly vulnerable.

Locals have complained about insecurity and hygiene problems linked to the homeless migrants roaming the streets, accusing the government of neglecting Ceuta.

The migration ministry said the two new shelters were “temporary reception facilities that will be expanded progressively as the adaptation work on the other planned spaces is completed”.

The priority of the “voluntary” transfer was to offer “an alternative accommodation and reception space so that they (the migrants) no longer have to spend the night on the streets or on the beach”, the ministry said.

The migrants’ future has sparked a political battle between Spain’s leftist central government and regions governed by the main conservative Popular Party (PP) and far-right Vox, which resist taking in unaccompanied children under existing legal provisions.

The government aims to transfer 500 girls to mainland Spain, but the PP has demanded the expulsion of all the remaining migrants.

“In Spain, mass deportations of minors are illegal,” secretary of state for children Ruben Perez Correa responded during an interview with Cadena SER radio on Thursday.

The unaccompanied girls in Ceuta — some as young as 10 or 11 years old — come from “very complex family situations” and “require specialised care”, he said.

Read More

Previous Post

Brookfield Renewable to Issue C$750 Million of Green Bonds

Next Post

Swiss insurers’ profits jumped in 2025

Next Post

Swiss insurers' profits jumped in 2025

ADVERTISEMENT
Facebook Twitter Instagram Youtube LinkedIn

Explore the Geneva Times

  • About us
  • Contact us

Contact us:

editor@thegenevatimes.ch

Visit us

© 2023 -2024 Geneva Times| Desgined & Developed by Immanuel Kolwin

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Editorial
  • Switzerland
  • Europe
  • International
  • UN
  • Business
  • Sports
  • More
    • Article
    • Tamil

© 2023 -2024 Geneva Times| Desgined & Developed by Immanuel Kolwin