• Login
Sunday, August 23, 2026
Geneva Times
  • Home
  • Editorial
  • Switzerland
  • Europe
  • International
  • UN
  • Business
  • Sports
  • More
    • Article
    • Tamil
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Editorial
  • Switzerland
  • Europe
  • International
  • UN
  • Business
  • Sports
  • More
    • Article
    • Tamil
No Result
View All Result
Geneva Times
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Editorial
  • Switzerland
  • Europe
  • International
  • UN
  • Business
  • Sports
  • More
Home International

Guinea rubbish landfill collapse kills 30 in Conakry

GenevaTimes by GenevaTimes
August 23, 2026
in International
Reading Time: 2 mins read
0
0
SHARES
0
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter


At least 30 people have been killed after a mound of rubbish at a major waste site collapsed on to nearby homes in Guinea’s capital Conakry, the government has said.

Another 22 people were injured, including six seriously, in the city’s Dar-es-Salam area.

“Significant” resources and personnel – including the military – have been deployed to search for survivors after the collapse at about 02:00 local time following heavy rain overnight, the government added in a statement.

One woman told local media her five children had died in the disaster. There are fears that the death toll will rise further.

Rescuers were later seen using excavators to comb through a mountain of scattered rubbish at the site as local residents gathered nearby.

Guinea’s Prime Minister Mamadou Oury Bah visited the scene to assess the situation and oversee the search efforts.

Neighbourhood leader Lancine Sylla had earlier told the AFP news agency he feared there would be a heavy death toll.

“We have pulled out 18 bodies that were taken to the morgue,” he said.

Another landslide at the site killed 10 people in 2017.

Read More

Previous Post

See All 7 Military Flyovers From INDYCAR’s Freedom 250 Grand Prix

Next Post

Market Trading Guide: Jayaswal Neco Industries among 2 stock recommendations for Monday

Next Post

Market Trading Guide: Jayaswal Neco Industries among 2 stock recommendations for Monday

ADVERTISEMENT
Facebook Twitter Instagram Youtube LinkedIn

Explore the Geneva Times

  • About us
  • Contact us

Contact us:

editor@thegenevatimes.ch

Visit us

© 2023 -2024 Geneva Times| Desgined & Developed by Immanuel Kolwin

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Editorial
  • Switzerland
  • Europe
  • International
  • UN
  • Business
  • Sports
  • More
    • Article
    • Tamil

© 2023 -2024 Geneva Times| Desgined & Developed by Immanuel Kolwin