• Login
Monday, August 17, 2026
Geneva Times
  • Home
  • Editorial
  • Switzerland
  • Europe
  • International
  • UN
  • Business
  • Sports
  • More
    • Article
    • Tamil
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Editorial
  • Switzerland
  • Europe
  • International
  • UN
  • Business
  • Sports
  • More
    • Article
    • Tamil
No Result
View All Result
Geneva Times
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Editorial
  • Switzerland
  • Europe
  • International
  • UN
  • Business
  • Sports
  • More
Home International

Ebola outbreak in DR Congo becomes deadliest in its history

GenevaTimes by GenevaTimes
August 17, 2026
in International
Reading Time: 2 mins read
0
Ebola outbreak in DR Congo becomes deadliest in its history
0
SHARES
0
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter


The Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo is now the deadliest in its history, according to public health officials.

A total of 2,325 people have been killed by the virus since it was declared on 15 May, surpassing the death toll of the country’s 2018-2020 outbreak.

The outbreak was already the fastest growing on record, UN humanitarian chief Tom Fletcher said last week, warning that “the epidemic is killing someone every 30 minutes”.

There is currently no approved vaccine available for the Bundibugyo species that has caused the current epidemic but several are in development, including one based on technology used to develop the AstraZeneca Covid-19 vaccine.

DR Congo’s Institute of Public Health on Sunday said it had recorded 4,945 confirmed cases, including 101 in the previous 24 hours.

Comparatively few cases have been identified outside the country: as of 12 August, 20 cases were confirmed in neighbouring Uganda, while two people were treated in Germany and one case was declared in France.

However, the pace of the virus’s transmission in DR Congo, where it has spread to six of 26 provinces, has been described as “exceptional” by the World Health Organization.

According to Reuters, it took close to five months for the world’s deadliest outbreak of 2014-2016 in West Africa to reach 1,000 fatalities. The current outbreak reached 2,000 deaths in three months, though researchers say it may have been spreading undetected since February.

The outbreak is the 17th to have emerged in DR Congo since Ebola was discovered 50 years ago. Years of conflict and a highly mobile population have added to the country’s challenges in controlling the spread of the disease.

Read More

Previous Post

Why Mike McCarthy Still Sees a Championship-Caliber QB In Old Friend Aaron Rodgers

Next Post

Attorney General Todd Blanche Says FBI Won’t Take Over Nancy Guthrie Investigation, but Will Assist Fully

Next Post
Attorney General Todd Blanche Says FBI Won’t Take Over Nancy Guthrie Investigation, but Will Assist Fully

Attorney General Todd Blanche Says FBI Won't Take Over Nancy Guthrie Investigation, but Will Assist Fully

ADVERTISEMENT
Facebook Twitter Instagram Youtube LinkedIn

Explore the Geneva Times

  • About us
  • Contact us

Contact us:

editor@thegenevatimes.ch

Visit us

© 2023 -2024 Geneva Times| Desgined & Developed by Immanuel Kolwin

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Editorial
  • Switzerland
  • Europe
  • International
  • UN
  • Business
  • Sports
  • More
    • Article
    • Tamil

© 2023 -2024 Geneva Times| Desgined & Developed by Immanuel Kolwin