• Login
Wednesday, August 19, 2026
Geneva Times
  • Home
  • Editorial
  • Switzerland
  • Europe
  • International
  • UN
  • Business
  • Sports
  • More
    • Article
    • Tamil
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Editorial
  • Switzerland
  • Europe
  • International
  • UN
  • Business
  • Sports
  • More
    • Article
    • Tamil
No Result
View All Result
Geneva Times
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Editorial
  • Switzerland
  • Europe
  • International
  • UN
  • Business
  • Sports
  • More
Home International

China: Alleged sexual assault by local official and businessman in Hangzhou sparks outrage

GenevaTimes by GenevaTimes
August 19, 2026
in International
Reading Time: 2 mins read
0
0
SHARES
0
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter


Chinese authorities have arrested a local government official and a businessman suspected of sexually assaulting a woman at a business gathering, in a case that has sparked outrage in the country.

The woman was allegedly assaulted at a karaoke bar in Hangzhou after an official dinner involving executives from several companies and officials.

Local authorities said an investigation had found the woman was sexually assaulted by both men, adding that she had been pushed to the ground by one of them, causing injuries to her lower back.

Both suspects in the case have been dismissed from their positions, the statement added.

Sexual misconduct at drinks events is not unheard of in China, but arrests in such cases – particularly involving public officials – is less common.

In this case, the victim’s injuries and the alleged involvement of a senior official and business executive from a state-owned company have fuelled public anger over what they see as an abuse of power in a workplace hierarchy.

It has been trending heavily on local social media platforms. The case was featured in seven of Weibo’s top 50 trending topics on Wednesday.

The story generated even more attention after authorities released their findings.

One related topic received more than 68 million views, while several others received one to six million views each.

“Going to a drinks gathering does not mean consenting to be harmed, and drinking alcohol does not mean voluntarily consenting to abuse,” one comment on Weibo read.

Many of the social media conversations have also talked about what is known as China’s “drinking table culture” – especially because of reports that the woman was asked to drink heavily before allegedly being taken to the karaoke lounge.

“What is the rationale behind having women accompany men in drinking? Hopefully this practice can be eliminated,” another comment said.

A comment piece in China Women’s News said just dealing with the individuals involved would not be enough.

It said there was a need to define the “boundaries of business interactions through institutional measures, cutting off the grey areas where power becomes entangled with social obligations”.

Read More

Previous Post

Dodgers To Reportedly Place Struggling Closer Edwin Diaz Back On Injured List

Next Post

Curbline director Alexander Otto sells $4.4m in stock

Next Post

Curbline director Alexander Otto sells $4.4m in stock

ADVERTISEMENT
Facebook Twitter Instagram Youtube LinkedIn

Explore the Geneva Times

  • About us
  • Contact us

Contact us:

editor@thegenevatimes.ch

Visit us

© 2023 -2024 Geneva Times| Desgined & Developed by Immanuel Kolwin

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Editorial
  • Switzerland
  • Europe
  • International
  • UN
  • Business
  • Sports
  • More
    • Article
    • Tamil

© 2023 -2024 Geneva Times| Desgined & Developed by Immanuel Kolwin