• Login
Monday, February 16, 2026
Geneva Times
  • Home
  • Editorial
  • Switzerland
  • Europe
  • International
  • UN
  • Business
  • Sports
  • More
    • Article
    • Tamil
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Editorial
  • Switzerland
  • Europe
  • International
  • UN
  • Business
  • Sports
  • More
    • Article
    • Tamil
No Result
View All Result
Geneva Times
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Editorial
  • Switzerland
  • Europe
  • International
  • UN
  • Business
  • Sports
  • More
Home International

US Supreme Court rejects Alex Jones appeal in Sandy Hook shooting case

GenevaTimes by GenevaTimes
October 15, 2025
in International
Reading Time: 2 mins read
0
US Supreme Court rejects Alex Jones appeal in Sandy Hook shooting case
0
SHARES
0
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter


The US Supreme Court has rejected a request from right-wing conspiracy theorist Alex Jones to overturn the nearly $1.5bn (£1.1bn) defamation judgment against him.

Jones was ordered to make the payout in 2022 for claiming the 2012 mass shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School – which killed 20 schoolchildren and six educators – was a hoax.

In order to make that payout, Jones was being forced to sell his Infowars media company to the satirical news site The Onion. He told the highest US court the sale would cause irreparable harm to him and his audience of 30 million.

Jones has not yet paid any of the damages he owes Sandy Hook families.

The Supreme Court did not explain its decision to deny his request.

Jones’s lawyers had made a free speech argument – that he should have the same protections under the First Amendment of the Constitution that journalists have. And Jones argued the financial consequences were too steep.

“The result is a financial death penalty by fiat imposed on a media defendant whose broadcasts reach millions,” he told the Supreme Court in the appeal.

Chris Mattei, a lawyer for the Sandy Hook families, said in a statement provided to BBC that the court “properly rejected Jones’s latest desperate attempt to avoid accountability for the harm he has caused.

“We look forward to enforcing the jury’s historic verdict and making Jones and Infowars pay for what they have done.”

While The Onion’s attempt to buy Infowars was rejected by a bankruptcy judge last year, Infowars could soon be up for sale again, giving The Onion another chance.

Legal pressure against Jones has been mounting since he was found liable by two juries for defamation and emotional distress over his lies about the Sandy Hook school shooting.

After the first verdict in Connecticut, Jones filed for bankruptcy protection in Texas, and Infowars was put up for auction to pay the Sandy Hook families, who had sued to collect on the judgment.

It was during Texas court proceedings that Jones acknowledged the attack was “100% real”. He had previously claimed the massacre was “staged” as part of a government plot to take guns from Americans and that “no-one died”.

Read More

Previous Post

Immobilie bewerten Schweiz: Online oder durch Expertin?

Next Post

Hyundai India Appoints Tarun Garg As MD And CEO As Unsoo Kim Steps Down

Next Post
Hyundai India Appoints Tarun Garg As MD And CEO As Unsoo Kim Steps Down

Hyundai India Appoints Tarun Garg As MD And CEO As Unsoo Kim Steps Down

ADVERTISEMENT
Facebook Twitter Instagram Youtube LinkedIn

Explore the Geneva Times

  • About us
  • Contact us

Contact us:

editor@thegenevatimes.ch

Visit us

© 2023 -2024 Geneva Times| Desgined & Developed by Immanuel Kolwin

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Editorial
  • Switzerland
  • Europe
  • International
  • UN
  • Business
  • Sports
  • More
    • Article
    • Tamil

© 2023 -2024 Geneva Times| Desgined & Developed by Immanuel Kolwin