• Login
Tuesday, February 17, 2026
Geneva Times
  • Home
  • Editorial
  • Switzerland
  • Europe
  • International
  • UN
  • Business
  • Sports
  • More
    • Article
    • Tamil
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Editorial
  • Switzerland
  • Europe
  • International
  • UN
  • Business
  • Sports
  • More
    • Article
    • Tamil
No Result
View All Result
Geneva Times
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Editorial
  • Switzerland
  • Europe
  • International
  • UN
  • Business
  • Sports
  • More
Home International

US and China agree framework of trade deal ahead of Trump-Xi meeting

GenevaTimes by GenevaTimes
October 26, 2025
in International
Reading Time: 3 mins read
0
US and China agree framework of trade deal ahead of Trump-Xi meeting
0
SHARES
0
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter


The US and China have agreed the framework of a potential trade deal that will be discussed when their respective leaders meet later this week, the US trade secretary has said.

Scott Bessent told the BBC’s US news partner CBS that this included a “final deal” on TikTok’s US operations and a deferral on China’s tightened rare earth minerals controls.

He also said he did not anticipate the 100% tariff on Chinese goods threatened by US President Donald Trump coming into force, while China will resume substantial soybean purchases from the US.

Both nations are seeking to avoid further escalation in a trade war between the world’s two largest economies.

Trump and Chinese President Xi Jinping are due to hold talks on Thursday in South Korea.

Bessent met senior Chinese trade officials on the sidelines of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (Asean) summit in Malaysia, which Trump is also attending as part of a tour of Asia. Beijing said they had “constructive” discussions.

Bessent said the countries had “reached a substantial framework for the two leaders”, adding: “The tariffs will be averted.”

Since Trump re-entered the White House, he has imposed and threatened sweeping tariffs on imports from overseas.

But the steepest levies he has threatened have been levelled at China, arguing that the policy would help boost US manufacturing and jobs.

Beijing has hit back with measures of its own, though the two agreed to hold off implementing the levies while pursuing a trade deal.

However, Trump threatened new 100% tariffs on Chinese goods from November if China does not roll back its tightened restrictions on export of rare earths – materials essential to the production of many electronics.

China processes around 90% of the world’s rare earths, which go into everything from solar panels to smartphones, making supply of them to US manufacturers a key bargaining chip.

China will “delay that for a year while they re-examine it”, Bessent told CBS’s This Week.

Another issue of contention is soybeans, of which China is the world’s biggest buyer. As the trade war began heating up, China halted all orders, hurting US farmers.

Bessent hinted the boycott may soon be over but refused to give details.

“I’m actually a soybean farmer, so I have felt this pain too… I think we have addressed the farmers’ concerns,” he said.

“I believe when the announcement of the deal with China is made public that our soybean farmers will feel really good about what’s going on for this season and the coming seasons for several years.”

Bessent also said a deal had been agreed on video-sharing platform TikTok’s US arm, with Trump and Xi left to “consummate that transaction on Thursday”.

The US has sought to prise the app’s US operations away from Chinese parent company ByteDance over national security concerns.

TikTok was previously told it had to sell its US operations or risk being shut down, but Trump has delayed implementing the ban four times to facilitate negotiations, and has extended the deadline again to December.

Read More

Previous Post

Pensionskassengelder: Jetzt kassiert die Schweiz PK-Vermögen

Next Post

Netanyahu says Israel will decide which foreign troops acceptable to secure Gaza ceasefire

Next Post
Netanyahu says Israel will decide which foreign troops acceptable to secure Gaza ceasefire

Netanyahu says Israel will decide which foreign troops acceptable to secure Gaza ceasefire

ADVERTISEMENT
Facebook Twitter Instagram Youtube LinkedIn

Explore the Geneva Times

  • About us
  • Contact us

Contact us:

editor@thegenevatimes.ch

Visit us

© 2023 -2024 Geneva Times| Desgined & Developed by Immanuel Kolwin

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Editorial
  • Switzerland
  • Europe
  • International
  • UN
  • Business
  • Sports
  • More
    • Article
    • Tamil

© 2023 -2024 Geneva Times| Desgined & Developed by Immanuel Kolwin