• Login
Monday, February 16, 2026
Geneva Times
  • Home
  • Editorial
  • Switzerland
  • Europe
  • International
  • UN
  • Business
  • Sports
  • More
    • Article
    • Tamil
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Editorial
  • Switzerland
  • Europe
  • International
  • UN
  • Business
  • Sports
  • More
    • Article
    • Tamil
No Result
View All Result
Geneva Times
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Editorial
  • Switzerland
  • Europe
  • International
  • UN
  • Business
  • Sports
  • More
Home Europe

Trump Says He Convinced Himself Not To Strike Iran

GenevaTimes by GenevaTimes
January 18, 2026
in Europe
Reading Time: 2 mins read
0
Trump Says He Convinced Himself Not To Strike Iran
0
SHARES
0
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter



US President Donald Trump says he decided on his own not to launch military strikes against Iran, crediting Tehran’s alleged cancellation of hundreds of scheduled executions as the decisive factor in his decision to hold back from military action.​

“Nobody convinced me. I convinced myself,” Trump told reporters outside the White House on January 16 when asked if Arab and Israeli officials had persuaded him to stand down. “You had yesterday scheduled over 800 hangings. They didn’t hang anyone. They canceled the hangings. That had a big impact.”

The Islamic republic has faced one of the gravest challenges to its legitimacy in years after demonstrations began on December 28, 2025, over Iran’s struggling economy, before snowballing into antiestablishment protests. The Norway-based Iran Human Rights group has verified at least 3,428 protester deaths by security forces, while the US-based HRANA puts the verified death toll at 2,885.

Rights groups warn that the actual toll is likely higher due to an internet blackout imposed since January 8 that has severely hampered verification efforts.​

Trump had initially warned that the United States was “locked and loaded” to take action if Iranian security forces killed protesters. He later threatened to take “very strong action” if Iran hanged protesters.

On January 17, Iran’s Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei repeated his claim that the United States had instigated the protests in Iran and blamed the casualties on Trump.

“We find the US president guilty due to the casualties, damages, and slander he inflicted upon the Iranian nation,” he said in an annual speech marking a religious occasion.

Earlier on January 16, Trump publicly thanked Iran’s leadership on Truth Social, writing: “I greatly respect the fact that all scheduled hangings, which were to take place yesterday (over 800 of them), have been cancelled by the leadership of Iran. Thank you!”​

Iran has not publicly confirmed plans to execute 800 protesters, nor has it announced the cancellation of any such scheduled executions.

The president’s comment comes after US media, citing regional officials, reported that Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Oman, and Egypt had been urging the Trump administration not to attack Iran over recent days, warning that military action could trigger a wider regional conflict. Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu also spoke with Trump by phone on January 15, reportedly asking him to delay potential strikes so Israel could prepare for possible Iranian retaliation.​

The White House maintains that all options remain “on the table” regarding Iran.​

Read More

Previous Post

‘Can’t trust Trump, best to not make deals’: Capitalmind CEO after tariff on Denmark, other EU countries

Next Post

Swiss at heart, not on paper: the challenges of naturalisation from abroad 

Next Post
Swiss at heart, not on paper: the challenges of naturalisation from abroad 

Swiss at heart, not on paper: the challenges of naturalisation from abroad 

ADVERTISEMENT
Facebook Twitter Instagram Youtube LinkedIn

Explore the Geneva Times

  • About us
  • Contact us

Contact us:

editor@thegenevatimes.ch

Visit us

© 2023 -2024 Geneva Times| Desgined & Developed by Immanuel Kolwin

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Editorial
  • Switzerland
  • Europe
  • International
  • UN
  • Business
  • Sports
  • More
    • Article
    • Tamil

© 2023 -2024 Geneva Times| Desgined & Developed by Immanuel Kolwin