• Login
Monday, February 16, 2026
Geneva Times
  • Home
  • Editorial
  • Switzerland
  • Europe
  • International
  • UN
  • Business
  • Sports
  • More
    • Article
    • Tamil
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Editorial
  • Switzerland
  • Europe
  • International
  • UN
  • Business
  • Sports
  • More
    • Article
    • Tamil
No Result
View All Result
Geneva Times
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Editorial
  • Switzerland
  • Europe
  • International
  • UN
  • Business
  • Sports
  • More
Home International

Thailand accuses Cambodia of breaking newly signed ceasefire

GenevaTimes by GenevaTimes
December 29, 2025
in International
Reading Time: 3 mins read
0
Thailand accuses Cambodia of breaking newly signed ceasefire
0
SHARES
0
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter


Getty Images Cambodian military police officers stand guard Getty Images

The Thai army said than more than 250 unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs) were detected flying from the Cambodian side

Thailand’s army has accused Cambodia of breaching a newly-signed ceasefire deal reached after weeks of deadly clashes that forced nearly one million people from their homes.

In a statement, the Thai army said than more than 250 unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs) were detected flying from the Cambodian side on Sunday night.

The ceasefire took effect at noon local time (05:00 GMT) on Saturday. Both sides agreed to freeze the front lines where they are now, ban reinforcements and allow civilians living in border areas to return as soon as possible.

It had been seen as a breakthrough, which came after days of talks between both countries, with diplomatic encouragement from China and the US.

In a statement on Monday, the Royal Thai Army said Cambodia’s actions “constitute provocation and a violation of measures aimed at reducing tensions”, adding that they were “inconsistent” with the terms of the ceasefire.

It also said it “may need to reconsider” the release of 18 Cambodian soldiers held in Thailand since July.

Thailand would be “obliged to act in accordance… [if] violations of agreements and national sovereignty continue”, it added.

Cambodia has not yet commented.

It comes just hours after China’s Foreign Minister Wang Yi praised the “hard-won” ceasefire, and US President Donald Trump praised the “rapid and fair conclusion”.

The dispute between Thailand and Cambodia is not new, dating back more than a century.

The latest tensions ramped up earlier this year, after a group of Cambodian women sang patriotic songs in a disputed temple.

A Cambodian soldier was killed in a clash in May. This plunged relations between the countries to their lowest point in more than a decade.

There were five days of intense fighting along the border, which left dozens of soldiers and civilians dead. Thousands more civilians were displaced.

A fragile ceasefire deal was agreed in July and signed in October. It then collapsed earlier this month, when fresh clashes erupted.

Both sides blamed each other for the breakdown of the truce.

Read More

Previous Post

College Basketball Rankings: Casey Jacobsen Has Vanderbilt, Alabama on the Move

Next Post

January Bank Holiday 2026: Check banks shut for up to 7 days in select cities

Next Post
January Bank Holiday 2026: Check banks shut for up to 7 days in select cities

January Bank Holiday 2026: Check banks shut for up to 7 days in select cities

ADVERTISEMENT
Facebook Twitter Instagram Youtube LinkedIn

Explore the Geneva Times

  • About us
  • Contact us

Contact us:

editor@thegenevatimes.ch

Visit us

© 2023 -2024 Geneva Times| Desgined & Developed by Immanuel Kolwin

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Editorial
  • Switzerland
  • Europe
  • International
  • UN
  • Business
  • Sports
  • More
    • Article
    • Tamil

© 2023 -2024 Geneva Times| Desgined & Developed by Immanuel Kolwin