• Login
Friday, February 20, 2026
Geneva Times
  • Home
  • Editorial
  • Switzerland
  • Europe
  • International
  • UN
  • Business
  • Sports
  • More
    • Article
    • Tamil
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Editorial
  • Switzerland
  • Europe
  • International
  • UN
  • Business
  • Sports
  • More
    • Article
    • Tamil
No Result
View All Result
Geneva Times
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Editorial
  • Switzerland
  • Europe
  • International
  • UN
  • Business
  • Sports
  • More
Home Europe

Pakistan, Afghanistan Agree To Immediate Cease-Fire During Talks In Doha

GenevaTimes by GenevaTimes
October 19, 2025
in Europe
Reading Time: 2 mins read
0
Pakistan, Afghanistan Agree To Immediate Cease-Fire During Talks In Doha
0
SHARES
0
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter



Pakistan and Afghanistan agreed to an immediate cease-fire during talks mediated by Qatar and Turkey in Doha, Qatar’s Foreign Ministry announced early October 19 on X.

“During the negotiations, the two sides agreed to an immediate cease-fire and the establishment of mechanisms to consolidate lasting peace and stability between the two countries,” the Qatari Foreign Ministry said in a statement.

The two sides also agreed to hold follow-up meetings in the coming days to ensure that the cease-fire holds and to “verify its implementation in a reliable and sustainable manner.”

Afghanistan and Pakistan began the peace talks on October 18 in the Qatari capital of Doha after border clashes and attacks raised fears of an all-out war between the two countries.

Zabihullah Mujahid, the Taliban-led government’s spokesman, announced earlier on X that the talks had begun and that Afghan Prime Minister Hassan Akhund had held discussions with Malaysian Prime Minister Anwar Ibrahim.

Pakistan Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif also spoke with the Malaysian prime minister, according to Mujahid. Anwar, who appeared to be acting as a mediator, “emphasized the need to resolve the issue through diplomatic means.” Mujahid said.

The Pakistani Foreign Ministry said the talks aimed to “end cross-border terrorism against Pakistan emanating from Afghanistan and restore peace and stability along the Pak-Afghan border.”

Pakistan urged the Afghan Taliban authorities to honor their commitments to the international community and address Pakistan’s “legitimate security concerns by taking verifiable action against terrorist entities.”

The recent violence between Pakistan and Afghanistan has been the worst since the Taliban seized power in Kabul in 2021.

The fighting between the one-time allies was triggered after Islamabad demanded that Kabul rein in militants who had stepped up attacks in Pakistan, saying they operated from havens in Afghanistan.

The Taliban denies harboring militants to attack Pakistan and accuses the Pakistani military of spreading misinformation about Afghanistan and sheltering Islamic State-linked militants. Islamabad denies the accusations.

With reporting by Reuters and AFP

Read More

Previous Post

Department of Fisheries and Oceans Canada says Hullo Ferries vessel struck humpback

Next Post

Podcast «Der Fall»: Widerrechtlicher Hausbau im Oberwallis

Next Post
Podcast «Der Fall»: Widerrechtlicher Hausbau im Oberwallis

Podcast «Der Fall»: Widerrechtlicher Hausbau im Oberwallis

ADVERTISEMENT
Facebook Twitter Instagram Youtube LinkedIn

Explore the Geneva Times

  • About us
  • Contact us

Contact us:

editor@thegenevatimes.ch

Visit us

© 2023 -2024 Geneva Times| Desgined & Developed by Immanuel Kolwin

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Editorial
  • Switzerland
  • Europe
  • International
  • UN
  • Business
  • Sports
  • More
    • Article
    • Tamil

© 2023 -2024 Geneva Times| Desgined & Developed by Immanuel Kolwin