• Login
Monday, February 16, 2026
Geneva Times
  • Home
  • Editorial
  • Switzerland
  • Europe
  • International
  • UN
  • Business
  • Sports
  • More
    • Article
    • Tamil
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Editorial
  • Switzerland
  • Europe
  • International
  • UN
  • Business
  • Sports
  • More
    • Article
    • Tamil
No Result
View All Result
Geneva Times
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Editorial
  • Switzerland
  • Europe
  • International
  • UN
  • Business
  • Sports
  • More
Home Europe

MEPs demand that 'all those responsible' for Sudan tragedy and humanitarian crisis are held to account

GenevaTimes by GenevaTimes
November 22, 2025
in Europe
Reading Time: 2 mins read
0
0
SHARES
0
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter


The unfolding humanitarian crisis in Sudan will come under the spotlight for MEPs when they meet in Strasbourg next week.

On Thursday, MEPs, who will be in the French city for their monthly plenary meeting, will vote on a resolution concerning the escalation of the war and consequent deepening humanitarian crisis in the African country.

Sudan plunged into a war in 2023, when a struggle for power broke between its army and the paramilitary group Rapid Support Forces (RSF).

Since then, 13 million people have been displaced, over 12 million are at the risk of rape and other forms of gender-based violence, and 25 million are facing extreme hunger, with the UN referring to Sudan as the world’s largest humanitarian crisis.

The Greens/EFA group in the EU parliament said, in a statement, that “several foreign actors have been fuelling the conflict, primarily the UAE, which has been supplying arms to the RSF”.

The statement goes on: “Backed by the UAE, the RSF militias are using extreme violence against civilians, committing war crimes and crimes against humanity.”

The Greens/EFA Group is now calling for the EU to take “immediate action to protect civilians and make perpetrators accountable”.

“Negotiations on the EU-UAE FTA must be frozen and resumed only once the UAE ceases its support and cooperation with the RSF. We urge the EU to ensure the enforcement of the UN arms embargo on Darfur and work towards its extension to the entire country,” reads the statement.

Elsewhere, the  Renew Europe group in the parliament has also demanded action to resolve “Sudan’s forgotten tragedy”.

At Renew’s initiative, the debate in Strasbourg will be held with a vote on a resolution addressing the deadly conflict.

The text condemns “systematic violations by Sudanese Armed Forces and Rapid Support Forces” and demands humanitarian corridors and increased aid.

It calls for International Criminal Court cooperation and European Union sanctions “against military commanders and United Arab Emirates enablers”.

It also urges an “African Union-led inclusive” political process excluding military leadership while supporting civil society and civilian protection mechanisms.

After two and a half years of fratricidal conflict, the situation has reached what Renew calls “unprecedented levels of horror”.

Over 150,000 people have been killed, and millions of civilians have been forced to flee their towns and villages, almost 50,000 in recent days alone, says the group. 

Survivors report systematic war crimes: summary executions of civilians, widespread rape, looting, kidnappings, and attacks on humanitarian workers, added Hilde Vautmans (Open-VLD, Belgium), Renew spokesperson for foreign affairs.

Meanwhile, Marit Maij, Socialist coordinator of the delegation to the OACPS-EU joint parliamentary assembly, says it too supports next week’s debate in the parliament “due to the escalation of the war and humanitarian catastrophe in Sudan”.

“We, in the S&D Group, have pushed for a plenary debate and resolution on Sudan next week,” said the MEP.

“We urgently call for an end to violence, including sexual violence, and access for humanitarian aid. Those responsible – directly and indirectly – must be held accountable. The Commission, the High Representative/Vice-President and the international community must act now,” said the Euro deputy.

The Foreign Affairs Council discussed Sudan at a meeting in Brussels earlier this week.

Read More

Previous Post

Govt Sources Refuting Claims Of Rise

Next Post

Winter tyres: a cold-weather essential

Next Post
Winter tyres: a cold-weather essential

Winter tyres: a cold-weather essential

ADVERTISEMENT
Facebook Twitter Instagram Youtube LinkedIn

Explore the Geneva Times

  • About us
  • Contact us

Contact us:

editor@thegenevatimes.ch

Visit us

© 2023 -2024 Geneva Times| Desgined & Developed by Immanuel Kolwin

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Editorial
  • Switzerland
  • Europe
  • International
  • UN
  • Business
  • Sports
  • More
    • Article
    • Tamil

© 2023 -2024 Geneva Times| Desgined & Developed by Immanuel Kolwin