• Login
Monday, February 16, 2026
Geneva Times
  • Home
  • Editorial
  • Switzerland
  • Europe
  • International
  • UN
  • Business
  • Sports
  • More
    • Article
    • Tamil
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Editorial
  • Switzerland
  • Europe
  • International
  • UN
  • Business
  • Sports
  • More
    • Article
    • Tamil
No Result
View All Result
Geneva Times
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Editorial
  • Switzerland
  • Europe
  • International
  • UN
  • Business
  • Sports
  • More
Home Business

J&K Police Chief rules out speculation after Nowgam blast kills nine, locals recount horror

GenevaTimes by GenevaTimes
November 15, 2025
in Business
Reading Time: 3 mins read
0
J&K Police Chief rules out speculation after Nowgam blast kills nine, locals recount horror
0
SHARES
0
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter


Jammu and Kashmir Lieutenant Governor Manoj Sinha consoles bereaved family members of the nine persons killed in the accidental blast at Nowgam police station,  during a tribute ceremony at the Police Control Room, in Srinagar

Jammu and Kashmir Lieutenant Governor Manoj Sinha consoles bereaved family members of the nine persons killed in the accidental blast at Nowgam police station, during a tribute ceremony at the Police Control Room, in Srinagar
| Photo Credit:
–

Jammu and Kashmir police on Saturday said that the blast at Nowgam police station which killed nine people and injured 32 others, mostly policemen, was accidental and not linked to any Pakistan-based terror outfit. 

The blast ripped through the police station around 11:20 pm on Friday, killing a State Investigation Agency (SIA) inspector Israr Ahamd Shah, three members of the Forensic Science Laboratory (FSL) team, two crime-scene photographers, two revenue officials and a tailor. 

Addressing a press conference in Srinagar, Jammu and Kashmir Police Chief Nalin Prabhat said the explosion happened while experts were examining a large quantity of explosive materials recovered from Faridabad earlier this month as part of an investigation.

“FIR No. 162 of 2025 pertains to the recovery of a huge quantity of explosive substances, chemicals and reagents from Faridabad on November 9 and 10. This material was brought to Nowgam police station and kept safely in an open area,” he said.

“As per the prescribed procedure, the samples had to be forwarded for forensic and chemical analysis. Given the voluminous nature of the recovery, this process was going on for the past two days by the FSL team,” he said.

Due to the unstable nature of the material, the sampling and handling were being done with extreme caution, he added. “Unfortunately, an accidental explosion occurred around 11:20 pm.”

Prabhat said the cause of the incident was being examined, but urged the public not to indulge in speculation. “Any other speculation into the cause of this incident is unnecessary,” he added.

The Union Home Ministry also issued a statement saying the circumstances leading to the accidental blast were under investigation.

Joint Secretary Prashant Lokhande noted that Nowgam police had recently cracked a terror module after tracing leads from a poster linked to the case.

Police also dismissed claims by Pakistan-based militant proxies that they were behind the explosion. The clarification came after reports that the People’s Anti-Fascist Front (PAFF), a front of Jaish-e-Mohammed, had claimed responsibility. “ The claim of PAFF or any other Pakistani terrorist group is patently false, baseless and mischievous,” the J&K Police said in a post on X.

Besides the nine fatalities, 27 police personnel, two revenue officials and three civilians from nearby houses were injured. All the injured were taken to hospital for treatment, he said.

Prabhat said the police station building was “very severely damaged” and that adjacent structures had also suffered impact.

Locals recount horror

Residents near the police station said the blast shook the neighbourhood.

“We were asleep when a sudden boom jolted us awake. We rushed outside with our children and found pieces of human bodies scattered around,” said a woman living close to the police station, adding that her house was also damaged.

Another resident said that moments after the blast, they heard fire-engine sirens and saw flames rising from the police station. “I have never witnessed anything like this in my life,” he said.

LG orders probe 

Jammu and Kashmir Lieutenant Governor Manoj Sinha ordered a probe into the blast. “I have ordered a probe to ascertain the cause of the accidental explosion,” Sinha said in a post on X. 

Expressing anguish over the loss of lives, he wrote: “Deeply anguished by the loss of precious lives due to the extremely tragic accidental blast at Nowgam police station in Srinagar. My condolences to the bereaved families. I pray for speedy recovery of the injured.”  

Published on November 15, 2025

Read More

Previous Post

Canadian boycott of US travel shows no sign of slowing

Next Post

Russia Hits Ukraine With Overnight Attack As Fighting Intensifies in Pokrovsk

Next Post
Russia Hits Ukraine With Overnight Attack As Fighting Intensifies in Pokrovsk

Russia Hits Ukraine With Overnight Attack As Fighting Intensifies in Pokrovsk

ADVERTISEMENT
Facebook Twitter Instagram Youtube LinkedIn

Explore the Geneva Times

  • About us
  • Contact us

Contact us:

editor@thegenevatimes.ch

Visit us

© 2023 -2024 Geneva Times| Desgined & Developed by Immanuel Kolwin

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Editorial
  • Switzerland
  • Europe
  • International
  • UN
  • Business
  • Sports
  • More
    • Article
    • Tamil

© 2023 -2024 Geneva Times| Desgined & Developed by Immanuel Kolwin