• Login
Saturday, February 21, 2026
Geneva Times
  • Home
  • Editorial
  • Switzerland
  • Europe
  • International
  • UN
  • Business
  • Sports
  • More
    • Article
    • Tamil
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Editorial
  • Switzerland
  • Europe
  • International
  • UN
  • Business
  • Sports
  • More
    • Article
    • Tamil
No Result
View All Result
Geneva Times
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Editorial
  • Switzerland
  • Europe
  • International
  • UN
  • Business
  • Sports
  • More
Home International

Israel pushes back on Trump’s picks for executives on Gaza ‘Board of Peace’

GenevaTimes by GenevaTimes
January 18, 2026
in International
Reading Time: 4 mins read
0
Israel pushes back on Trump’s picks for executives on Gaza ‘Board of Peace’
0
SHARES
0
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter


Reuters Trump and Netanyahu speaking at a conference, while both wearing suits with red ties with Israeli and US flags in backgroundReuters

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has convened a meeting with his top advisers to discuss Donald Trump’s “Board of Peace” for Gaza, after it revealed the US did not include Israel in talks to do with its creation.

Netanyahu’s office said it was “not coordinated with Israel and runs contrary to its policy”, following Saturday’s announcement of the committee’s Gaza Executive Board, which includes the Turkish foreign minister and a Qatari official, as well as former-UK PM Tony Blair and Trump’s son-in-law Jared Kushner.

The Board of Peace, which is part of Trump’s 20-point plan to end the Israel-Hamas war, is expected to temporarily oversee the running of Gaza and manage its reconstruction.

Its exact structure remains unclear and members are still being invited.

Two separate senior bodies have been officially unveiled, both of which sit under the main Board of Peace.

One is a “founding Executive Board”, with a high-level focus on investment and diplomacy. The other, the “Gaza Executive Board”, is responsible for overseeing all on-the-ground work of yet another administrative group, the National Committee for the Administration of Gaza (NCAG).

So far, the only Israeli member on the Gaza Executive Board is Yakir Gabay, a businessman born in Israel and now based in Cyprus. There are no Palestinians on either senior board.

Israel’s far-right National Security Minister Itamar Ben-Gvir wrote on X: “The Gaza Strip does not need any “administrative committee” to oversee its “rehabilitation” – it needs to be cleansed of Hamas terrorists”.

Israel’s opposition leader Yair Lapid called the announcement a “diplomatic failure for Israel.”

Officials from Qatar and Turkey, which have both been critical of Israel’s military actions in Gaza, are confirmed members of the advisory panel.

The overarching Board of Peace will be made up of world leaders, with President Trump as its chairman, the White House said.

While those members have not been announced, the leaders of the UK, Hungary, Argentina, Jordan, Turkey, India, and Egypt have reportedly been invited.

Governments have reacted cautiously to the invitations, with only Hungarian Prime Minister Viktor Orban, a Trump ally, confirming he has accepted the role.

The White House said those chosen will work to ensure “effective governance and the delivery of best-in-class services that advance peace, stability, and prosperity for the people of Gaza”.

The UK was seeking more clarity on the committee, a government source told the BBC.

On Saturday, Bloomberg reported that Trump was asking countries to contribute billion dollars ($1bn; £745m) to join the panel.

Speaking to CBS news , a US official confirmed the reports, but clarified that countries could still join on a three year membership without paying anything.

Canada’s Mark Carney said that he agreed with Trump’s plan on principle, but that the details – including financial ones – were still being worked through.

Speaking to reporters in Doha on Sunday, he made clear that Canada did not have “unimpeded” aid funds to cover the costs of membership.

Meanwhile, the United Nations warned on Saturday that the humanitarian crisis in Gaza is “far from over”.

The UN estimates around 80% of buildings in Gaza have been destroyed or damaged and families who have survived the war are now struggling with the winter weather, and a lack of food and shelter.

Olga Cherevko from the UN aid coordination office said that the delivery of tonnes aid and fixed roads in the months since a ceasefire came into effect were a “band aid” rather than a solution.

Bitter winter weather has led to further complications, destroying buildings and making it difficult to access healthcare.

Israel says that it is facilitating humanitarian assistance, and has blamed the UN for failing to distribute supplies already in Gaza. It argues any restrictions are designed to stop Hamas infiltrating and exploiting relief efforts.

Read More

Previous Post

Texans vs. Patriots Live Updates, Score: Top Moments from AFC Divisional Round

Next Post

Syria, US-Backed Kurdish Group Sign Deal to End Fighting

Next Post

Syria, US-Backed Kurdish Group Sign Deal to End Fighting

ADVERTISEMENT
Facebook Twitter Instagram Youtube LinkedIn

Explore the Geneva Times

  • About us
  • Contact us

Contact us:

editor@thegenevatimes.ch

Visit us

© 2023 -2024 Geneva Times| Desgined & Developed by Immanuel Kolwin

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Editorial
  • Switzerland
  • Europe
  • International
  • UN
  • Business
  • Sports
  • More
    • Article
    • Tamil

© 2023 -2024 Geneva Times| Desgined & Developed by Immanuel Kolwin