• Login
Wednesday, February 18, 2026
Geneva Times
  • Home
  • Editorial
  • Switzerland
  • Europe
  • International
  • UN
  • Business
  • Sports
  • More
    • Article
    • Tamil
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Editorial
  • Switzerland
  • Europe
  • International
  • UN
  • Business
  • Sports
  • More
    • Article
    • Tamil
No Result
View All Result
Geneva Times
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Editorial
  • Switzerland
  • Europe
  • International
  • UN
  • Business
  • Sports
  • More
Home Switzerland

Debris cone in landslide-hit Blatten over 100 metres high in places

GenevaTimes by GenevaTimes
June 2, 2025
in Switzerland
Reading Time: 20 mins read
0
Debris cone in landslide-hit Blatten over 100 metres high in places
0
SHARES
0
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter


Debris cone in Blatten VS is over 100 metres high in places

Debris cone in Blatten VS is over 100 metres high in places


Keystone-SDA





Generated with artificial intelligence.

According to the head of the Valais Natural Hazards Office, the cone of debris from the landslide in Blatten is over 100 metres high in places. Raphaël Mayoraz told the media that no cracks or major collapses of the pile of rubble have been detected so far.


This content was published on


June 2, 2025 – 09:28

However, this could change as soon as the ice begins to melt, Mayoraz said in an interview with the newspapers Walliser Bote, Le Nouvelliste and ArcInfo on Monday. The debris cone consists of six million cubic metres of rubble and debris. In addition, there are three million cubic metres of ice, he said.

+Get the most important news from Switzerland in your inbox

If the ice melts, mudflows could occur, said Mayoraz. However, he was confident that the Ferden dam wall further down the valley would be able to absorb them. Simulations have shown this. However, should several events occur simultaneously, the villages of Gampel and Steg would also have to be evacuated, he said.

The Lonza River poses a further risk. If the water carves a new path through the debris cone, so-called “water pockets” could form, said Mayoraz. These accumulations of water are not visible. But even in this scenario, the head of the Natural Hazards Department of the canton of Valais was optimistic. The Lonza is currently flowing in a relatively controlled manner and is slowly eroding.

Precipitation announced

As far as the predicted precipitation is concerned, “we don’t have to expect the worst”, added the geologist, basing his assessment on simulations. The water level of the lake that has formed behind the debris cone has dropped by around one metre.

Meanwhile, the Kleine Nesthorn above Blatten remains in motion. “Around 100,000 cubic metres of material are still unstable,” said Mayoraz in the interview. According to Mayoraz, there is practically no danger from the glacier as it has largely collapsed.

More

Nesthorn

More

Why do Swiss mountains collapse? It’s complicated




This content was published on


May 23, 2025



Small landslides are on the increase in the Swiss Alps owing to climate change. But the link with global warming is less obvious for large natural disasters.



Read more: Why do Swiss mountains collapse? It’s complicated


The opposite slope of the Kleiner Nesthorn also harbours a potential danger. Material up to ten metres high has been piled up there, Matthias Ebener from the municipal management staff told a reporter from the Keystone-SDA news agency on site on Sunday. This is unstable and due to the rain forecast for next week, there is also a risk that the rock masses on the opposite slope could slide down again.

The site is being monitored day and night, said Mayoraz. The observers from the fire brigade, army and civil defence will raise the alarm if, for example, they see that the level of the Lonza is rising or the dammed lake is draining faster. This allows them to react accordingly to developments down the valley at the debris cone or on the mountain.

Last Wednesday afternoon, the Birch Glacier above Blatten and the debris deposited on it fell from the Kleine Nesthorn into the valley. The village in the Valais Lötschental was largely buried. A lake formed behind the debris cone, which flooded houses that had been spared from the collapse. The glacier collapse had been preceded by a collapse on the Kleine Nesthorn. Around 300 people had been evacuated in advance. One person is missing after the collapse.

Adapted from German by DeepL/ac

We select the most relevant news for an international audience and use automatic translation tools to translate them into English. A journalist then reviews the translation for clarity and accuracy before publication. 

Providing you with automatically translated news gives us the time to write more in-depth articles. The news stories we select have been written and carefully fact-checked by an external editorial team from news agencies such as Bloomberg or Keystone.

If you have any questions about how we work, write to us at english@swissinfo.ch

Articles in this story

One third swift nests polluted by plastic

More

A third of swift nests in Europe contain plastic




This content was published on


Jun 2, 2025



This is the first study first to report a direct interaction between floating plastic debris in the atmosphere and any species.



Read more: A third of swift nests in Europe contain plastic


Skyguide reduces approaches at Geneva Airport as a precautionary measure

More

Delayed flights expected at Geneva airport due to air traffic control issue




This content was published on


Jun 2, 2025



Skyguide air traffic control reduced the number of approaches at Geneva Airport by 20% as a precautionary measure for safety reasons.



Read more: Delayed flights expected at Geneva airport due to air traffic control issue


people waiting for food

More

Over 50 former diplomats blast Switzerland for ‘silence’ on Israel




This content was published on


Jun 1, 2025



In a joint letter, 55 former diplomats have expressed their shock at Switzerland’s “silence and passivity” regarding Israel’s “war crimes” in Gaza.



Read more: Over 50 former diplomats blast Switzerland for ‘silence’ on Israel


Swiss Solidarity registers great willingness to donate for Blatten VS

More

Swiss Solidarity donations surpass CHF4 million for landslide victims




This content was published on


Jun 1, 2025



As of Sunday morning, Swiss Solidarity’s provisional donation amount for the landslide area was around CHF4.3 million ($5.2 million).



Read more: Swiss Solidarity donations surpass CHF4 million for landslide victims


Insufficient aid to Gaza, Federal Council delegate

More

Swiss aid expert criticises Gaza Humanitarian Foundation




This content was published on


Jun 1, 2025



The aid work of the Gaza Humanitarian Foundation is insufficient says Swiss government Delegate for Humanitarian Aid Dominik Stillhart.



Read more: Swiss aid expert criticises Gaza Humanitarian Foundation


Once again very high activity on the Kleine Nesthorn above Blatten VS

More

Danger in Lötschental valley landslide area remains high




This content was published on


Jun 1, 2025



According to the authorities in canton Valais, the danger in the landslide area in the Lötschental valley remains very high on Sunday.



Read more: Danger in Lötschental valley landslide area remains high


These changes come into force in Switzerland on 1 June

More

Switzerland to allow more egg imports as of June 1




This content was published on


Jun 1, 2025



Starting in June, more eggs may be imported into Switzerland amid rising demand.



Read more: Switzerland to allow more egg imports as of June 1


doctor

More

Swiss court rules no age limit to practice medicine




This content was published on


May 31, 2025



A Swiss federal court has ruled that a canton cannot set a maximum age for issuing a medical license.



Read more: Swiss court rules no age limit to practice medicine


Blatten (VS): Karin Keller-Sutter, 'devastating'.

More

Swiss president visits region affected by glacier collapse




This content was published on


May 31, 2025



Swiss President Karin Keller-Sutter spoke with communities affected by the Birch glacier collapse, which buried the village of Blatten.



Read more: Swiss president visits region affected by glacier collapse


Bitcoin causes 98 million tonnes of CO2 per year

More

Bitcoin causes 98 million tonnes of CO2 per year




This content was published on


May 31, 2025



The Bitcoin network currently has a carbon footprint more than twice as large as that of Switzerland.



Read more: Bitcoin causes 98 million tonnes of CO2 per year


Read More

Previous Post

Sleeping rough at Spain’s busiest airport

Next Post

Birmingham Stallions vs. Memphis Showboats Highlights | United Football League

Next Post
Birmingham Stallions vs. Memphis Showboats Highlights | United Football League

Birmingham Stallions vs. Memphis Showboats Highlights | United Football League

ADVERTISEMENT
Facebook Twitter Instagram Youtube LinkedIn

Explore the Geneva Times

  • About us
  • Contact us

Contact us:

editor@thegenevatimes.ch

Visit us

© 2023 -2024 Geneva Times| Desgined & Developed by Immanuel Kolwin

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Editorial
  • Switzerland
  • Europe
  • International
  • UN
  • Business
  • Sports
  • More
    • Article
    • Tamil

© 2023 -2024 Geneva Times| Desgined & Developed by Immanuel Kolwin