• Login
Tuesday, February 17, 2026
Geneva Times
  • Home
  • Editorial
  • Switzerland
  • Europe
  • International
  • UN
  • Business
  • Sports
  • More
    • Article
    • Tamil
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Editorial
  • Switzerland
  • Europe
  • International
  • UN
  • Business
  • Sports
  • More
    • Article
    • Tamil
No Result
View All Result
Geneva Times
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Editorial
  • Switzerland
  • Europe
  • International
  • UN
  • Business
  • Sports
  • More
Home International

Cuban dissident José Daniel Ferrer arrives in US exile

GenevaTimes by GenevaTimes
October 14, 2025
in International
Reading Time: 2 mins read
0
Cuban dissident José Daniel Ferrer arrives in US exile
0
SHARES
0
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter


Prominent Cuban dissident José Daniel Ferrer has arrived in Miami after being freed from a Cuban prison.

Shortly after landing in the United States, the pro-democracy activist called for the release of hundreds of political prisoners held in Cuba.

Earlier this month, the 55-year-old revealed that he had taken the “difficult decision” to go into exile after being told his wife could also be jailed and their son sent to an institution for juvenile offenders.

In a statement, the Cuban foreign ministry said Mr Ferrer and his family had left the country following “a formal request” from the US government and insisted that Mr Ferrer had given his “explicit acceptance”.

As co-ordinator of the Patriotic Union of Cuba – an umbrella group of dissident organisations – Mr Ferrer has been one of the most outspoken critics of Cuba’s Communist government, which bans political opposition.

Like many Cuban dissidents, Mr Ferrer has been in and out of prison.

He had been released briefly in January following a deal negotiated by the Vatican under which then US President Joe Biden removed Cuba from the US list of state sponsors of terrorism, just days his term ended.

But Mr Ferrer was re-arrested after three months, during which he had continued to speak out against the Cuban government, which accused him of breaching the terms of his parole.

The dissident said that following his re-arrest “the cruelty of the dictatorship towards me has known no bounds”.

He has accused prison authorities of humiliating and torturing him.

Fellow dissidents have described his departure from Cuba as a “forced exile”.

US Secretary of State Marco Rubio, the son of Cuban immigrants, said in a statement that “Ferrer’s leadership and tireless advocacy for the Cuban people was a threat to the regime, which repeatedly imprisoned and tortured him”.

“We are glad that Ferrer is now free from the regime’s oppression,” Rubio added.

He also called on the international community “to join us in holding the Cuban regime accountable for its abuses” and to demand the release of “more of 700 unjustly detained political prisoners” held on the Communist-run island.

Read More

Previous Post

USA vs Australia: How to Watch, Odds, Friendly Preview

Next Post

Bombardier Defense and SNC Announce 10-year Service Agreement in Support of U.S. Military Program

Next Post

Bombardier Defense and SNC Announce 10-year Service Agreement in Support of U.S. Military Program

ADVERTISEMENT
Facebook Twitter Instagram Youtube LinkedIn

Explore the Geneva Times

  • About us
  • Contact us

Contact us:

editor@thegenevatimes.ch

Visit us

© 2023 -2024 Geneva Times| Desgined & Developed by Immanuel Kolwin

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Editorial
  • Switzerland
  • Europe
  • International
  • UN
  • Business
  • Sports
  • More
    • Article
    • Tamil

© 2023 -2024 Geneva Times| Desgined & Developed by Immanuel Kolwin