• Login
Monday, February 16, 2026
Geneva Times
  • Home
  • Editorial
  • Switzerland
  • Europe
  • International
  • UN
  • Business
  • Sports
  • More
    • Article
    • Tamil
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Editorial
  • Switzerland
  • Europe
  • International
  • UN
  • Business
  • Sports
  • More
    • Article
    • Tamil
No Result
View All Result
Geneva Times
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Editorial
  • Switzerland
  • Europe
  • International
  • UN
  • Business
  • Sports
  • More
Home International

Australia PM Anthony Albanese visits Bondi hero Ahmed al Ahmed in hospital

GenevaTimes by GenevaTimes
December 16, 2025
in International
Reading Time: 2 mins read
0
Australia PM Anthony Albanese visits Bondi hero Ahmed al Ahmed in hospital
0
SHARES
0
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter


Australia’s Prime Minister has visited Bondi hero Ahmed al Ahmed in hospital, after the bystander tried to disarm one of the gunmen in the nation’s deadliest gun attack since 1996.

“Your heart is strong”, PM Anthony Albanese told the father-of-two, later calling him “the best of our country”.

The fruit shop owner, who was born and raised in Syria, was shot several times in the shoulder after tackling one of the alleged gunmen. Albanese said Mr Ahmed would “undergo further surgery” on Wednesday.

At least 15 people have been confirmed dead after Sunday’s attack in Sydney during an event to mark the first night of Hanukkah.

Police have declared the attack as a terrorist incident targeting the Jewish community.

“He was trying to get a cup of coffee and found himself at a moment where people were being shot in front of him,” Albanese said after the bedside visit.

“He decided to take action, and his bravery is an inspiration for all Australians. He is a very humble man.”

“At a moment where we have seen evil perpetrated, he shines out as an example of the strength of humanity,” the prime minister added.

“We are a brave country. Ahmed al Ahmed represents the best of our country.”

He later added: “Ahmed, you are an Australian hero.”

There has been nationwide support for the 43-year-old including from US President Donald Trump who commended his courage, and a US billionaire who donated $99,999 (US$ 65,000; £49,000) to Mr Ahmed, calling him a “brave hero”.

In the footage, Mr Ahmed is seen hiding behind a parked car before he leaps out.

He runs at the alleged gunman and seizes his weapon, before turning the gun round on him. The suspected attacker then begins to retreat.

Mr Ahmed then lowers the weapon and raises one hand in the air, appearing to show police he was not one of the attackers.

Mr Ahmed’s father previously told the BBC that his son was driven to act by his “sentiment, conscience and humanity”.

He “saw the victims, the blood, women and children lying on the street, and then acted”.

Read More

Previous Post

Dolphins vs. Steelers MNF Highlights: Pittsburgh Improves AFC North Lead With Win

Next Post

Counter-intelligence sleuths raid across Kashmir lead to detentions

Next Post
Counter-intelligence sleuths raid across Kashmir lead to detentions

Counter-intelligence sleuths raid across Kashmir lead to detentions

ADVERTISEMENT
Facebook Twitter Instagram Youtube LinkedIn

Explore the Geneva Times

  • About us
  • Contact us

Contact us:

editor@thegenevatimes.ch

Visit us

© 2023 -2024 Geneva Times| Desgined & Developed by Immanuel Kolwin

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Editorial
  • Switzerland
  • Europe
  • International
  • UN
  • Business
  • Sports
  • More
    • Article
    • Tamil

© 2023 -2024 Geneva Times| Desgined & Developed by Immanuel Kolwin