• Login
Sunday, August 23, 2026
Geneva Times
  • Home
  • Editorial
  • Switzerland
  • Europe
  • International
  • UN
  • Business
  • Sports
  • More
    • Article
    • Tamil
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Editorial
  • Switzerland
  • Europe
  • International
  • UN
  • Business
  • Sports
  • More
    • Article
    • Tamil
No Result
View All Result
Geneva Times
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Editorial
  • Switzerland
  • Europe
  • International
  • UN
  • Business
  • Sports
  • More
Home Europe

Indian Coast Guard launches search and rescue operation after cargo vessel sinks in Bay of Bengal

GenevaTimes by GenevaTimes
August 23, 2026
in Europe
Reading Time: 2 mins read
0
0
SHARES
0
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter


Published on
23/08/2026 – 9:34 GMT+2

The Indian Coast Guard has launched a search and rescue operation off the coast of eastern India after a cargo ship sank in the Bay of Bengal.


ADVERTISEMENT


ADVERTISEMENT

According to the Coast Guard, the MV Ocean Winner vessel issued a distress alert while southeast off the port of Paradip on Saturday before contact was lost.

Two of the 24-strong crew have been rescued from life rafts, while the Coast Guard has deployed three ships to carry out surface searches for the remaining crew members.

The crew consisted of 20 Chinese nationals, three Myanmar nationals, and one Bangladeshi, the agency said.

The cause of the sinking is not yet clear.

Sarbananda Sonowal, India’s Minister of Ports, Shipping and Waterways, said the Panama-flagged vessel had been carrying iron ore from the port of Paradip to China when it sank.

“All agencies are coordinating closely and actively doing search and rescue efforts. 2 survivors have been successfully rescued and are being given medical care; their rank and identity are currently being verified,” he wrote in a post on X.

“My prayers for the safety of the remaining crew,” he added.

Read More

Previous Post

We need better fire policy, not climate sermons

Next Post

Dying with dignity, living with freedom: Denis Côté on ‘Nobody’s Violence’

Next Post

Dying with dignity, living with freedom: Denis Côté on ‘Nobody’s Violence’

ADVERTISEMENT
Facebook Twitter Instagram Youtube LinkedIn

Explore the Geneva Times

  • About us
  • Contact us

Contact us:

editor@thegenevatimes.ch

Visit us

© 2023 -2024 Geneva Times| Desgined & Developed by Immanuel Kolwin

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Editorial
  • Switzerland
  • Europe
  • International
  • UN
  • Business
  • Sports
  • More
    • Article
    • Tamil

© 2023 -2024 Geneva Times| Desgined & Developed by Immanuel Kolwin