• Login
Saturday, August 22, 2026
Geneva Times
  • Home
  • Editorial
  • Switzerland
  • Europe
  • International
  • UN
  • Business
  • Sports
  • More
    • Article
    • Tamil
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Editorial
  • Switzerland
  • Europe
  • International
  • UN
  • Business
  • Sports
  • More
    • Article
    • Tamil
No Result
View All Result
Geneva Times
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Editorial
  • Switzerland
  • Europe
  • International
  • UN
  • Business
  • Sports
  • More
Home Sports

Yankees Place Ryan McMahon On 10-Day IL As Max Fried Gets Closer To Return

GenevaTimes by GenevaTimes
August 21, 2026
in Sports
Reading Time: 4 mins read
0
0
SHARES
0
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter


Ryan McMahon was placed on the 10-day injured list with a Grade 2 left thumb sprain Friday, but the New York Yankees third baseman said he’ll just miss the minimum amount of time.

“Not great news. Could have been worse,” McMahon said before the Yankees opened a three-game series with Toronto. “Obviously I’m not happy with it, but thankful that most likely no surgery and just the minimal time.”

McMahon was injured on a play at second base in Wednesday’s 5-3 win at Baltimore. He singled in the second inning and jammed his thumb when he was thrown out trying to stretch the hit into a double.

“Just felt like it probably would have been a couple more days where he’s maybe a little bit compromised,” manager Aaron Boone said. “So I kind of don’t want to create anything habit-wise that’s bad, so just felt like probably the right thing to do here.”

(Photo by Colton Hall/MLB Photos via Getty Images)

McMahon said he felt fine in the field, but was having a difficult time swinging — though he was able to take swings in the batting cage.

“I feel like with what these games meaning as much as they are down the stretch, me going out there at 50% probably wasn’t the best,” McMahon said.

McMahon is hitting .218 with 10 homers and 32 RBIs in 108 games. McMahon also missed 10 games earlier this season with a throat infection.

To fill McMahon’s roster spot, Max Schuemann was called up from Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes Barre. Schuemann batted .194 in 40 games earlier this season, but his stay on the Yankees could be short if Cody Bellinger is ready to return from a left hamstring strain.

Bellinger started his minor league rehabilitation assignment Thursday, was scheduled to play again Friday before taking Saturday off and could return Sunday.

Max Fried to throw side session Saturday

(Photo by Michael Urakami/MLB Photos via Getty Images)

Fried will throw a side session Saturday and if it goes well, the left-hander could be on track to return from the 15-day injured list when first eligible next week.

Fried was placed on the IL on Monday and the move was retroactive to last Friday, a day after he pitched five innings in a 1-0 loss to Seattle.

“I’ve been feeling good,” Fried said. “Not ideal coming out of my last start with a little soreness, but all in all we’re really encouraged.”

Fried missed 57 games with the same injury from May 14-July 22 after exiting a start in Baltimore with pain following three innings on May 13.

“Before, it was definitely more intense, more pain,” Fried said of the differences between injuries. “I would say that it felt similar, but on a smaller scale. I just wanted to be as transparent as I could be with the medical staff and coaching staff.”

Fried is 4-4 with a 2.81 ERA in 15 starts this season. He’s 0-1 with a 1.82 ERA in five starts since returning from his first IL stint July 22.

“We’re encouraged,” Boone said. “I think the last couple of days have been good for him. Kind of talking to him, he probably could have made his last start maybe, but hopefully this gives (it) a chance to calm down a little bit, too. If everything goes well with that side tomorrow, then we could do a live (throwing session) at some point early in the week to hopefully set him up when he’s eligible.”

Reporting by The Associated Press.

Read More

Previous Post

Swiss activists billed 90,000 francs for police costs

Next Post

Tupac murder trial: Accused told police in 2008 his nephew fired fatal shots

Next Post

Tupac murder trial: Accused told police in 2008 his nephew fired fatal shots

ADVERTISEMENT
Facebook Twitter Instagram Youtube LinkedIn

Explore the Geneva Times

  • About us
  • Contact us

Contact us:

editor@thegenevatimes.ch

Visit us

© 2023 -2024 Geneva Times| Desgined & Developed by Immanuel Kolwin

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Editorial
  • Switzerland
  • Europe
  • International
  • UN
  • Business
  • Sports
  • More
    • Article
    • Tamil

© 2023 -2024 Geneva Times| Desgined & Developed by Immanuel Kolwin