• Login
Friday, August 21, 2026
Geneva Times
  • Home
  • Editorial
  • Switzerland
  • Europe
  • International
  • UN
  • Business
  • Sports
  • More
    • Article
    • Tamil
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Editorial
  • Switzerland
  • Europe
  • International
  • UN
  • Business
  • Sports
  • More
    • Article
    • Tamil
No Result
View All Result
Geneva Times
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Editorial
  • Switzerland
  • Europe
  • International
  • UN
  • Business
  • Sports
  • More
Home Europe

Group of 15 Cuban migrants rescued by Mexico’s navy after days adrift at sea

GenevaTimes by GenevaTimes
August 21, 2026
in Europe
Reading Time: 2 mins read
0
0
SHARES
0
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter


A group of Cuban migrants, including several minors, who went missing at sea last week have been rescued, the Mexican navy said.


ADVERTISEMENT


ADVERTISEMENT

The migrants set sail from the western Cuban province of Pinar del Rio on 11 August, according to Cuban and US media.

Their whereabouts had been unknown since and fears for their safety had grown amid reports they were running short of supplies.

“We rescued the Cubans,” the navy source said, putting the number of passengers found at 15, including four minors.

A Cuban man living in Mexico, whose two children were traveling on the boat with their mother, told Univision on Monday that the boat was low on fuel.

Cubans seeking to leave the communist-run island have risked their lives in flimsy boats for decades in a bid to cross the treacherous Florida Straits to the United States or across the Caribbean to Mexico.

Their journeys often end in tragedy or disappointment, with hundreds of migrants drowning over the past decade or being sent back by the coastguard.

Since Washington imposed an energy blockade on the island in January, already grim living conditions on the island have become calamitous, with most areas subsisting on just a few hours of electricity per day and food, water and medicine all in critically short supply.

Additional sources • AFP

Read More

Previous Post

Vedanta invests $1 billion in net zero push as emissions fall 36 million tonnes

Next Post

Switzerland’s First Queer Memorial Unveiled in Zurich

Next Post

Switzerland's First Queer Memorial Unveiled in Zurich

ADVERTISEMENT
Facebook Twitter Instagram Youtube LinkedIn

Explore the Geneva Times

  • About us
  • Contact us

Contact us:

editor@thegenevatimes.ch

Visit us

© 2023 -2024 Geneva Times| Desgined & Developed by Immanuel Kolwin

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Editorial
  • Switzerland
  • Europe
  • International
  • UN
  • Business
  • Sports
  • More
    • Article
    • Tamil

© 2023 -2024 Geneva Times| Desgined & Developed by Immanuel Kolwin