• Login
Monday, August 17, 2026
Geneva Times
  • Home
  • Editorial
  • Switzerland
  • Europe
  • International
  • UN
  • Business
  • Sports
  • More
    • Article
    • Tamil
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Editorial
  • Switzerland
  • Europe
  • International
  • UN
  • Business
  • Sports
  • More
    • Article
    • Tamil
No Result
View All Result
Geneva Times
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Editorial
  • Switzerland
  • Europe
  • International
  • UN
  • Business
  • Sports
  • More
Home International

US commander says mental health a ‘priority’ on USS Lincoln

GenevaTimes by GenevaTimes
August 17, 2026
in International
Reading Time: 2 mins read
0
US commander says mental health a ‘priority’ on USS Lincoln
0
SHARES
0
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter


The USS George Washington is reportedly heading to replace the USS Lincoln and could arrive in the region in about a week.

Family members of sailors aboard the Lincoln have expressed concern about their mental health deteriorating due to the conditions, with some sailors having reportedly attempted to jump overboard.

Adm Cooper said in a statement on Sunday: “I’ve long believed that mental health is another aspect of individual health and requires our attention just like physical health and spiritual health.

“I applaud Lincoln’s leadership for… stepping up and making mental health and crew resilience a leadership priority.”

While the US Navy last week acknowledged supply challenges, it had denied a mental health crisis on the Lincoln, which has 5,000 people aboard.

Conditions aboard the ship have included poor sanitation, infrequent ports-of-call, broken plumbing and shortages of fresh food, according to reports last week in the Military Times and Stars & Stripes.

Thirteen Democrats on the Senate Armed Services Committee sent a letter on Saturday to Defence Secretary Pete Hegseth, criticising the length of the deployment as “a modern-day record” and demanding answers.

Last week, Hegseth called reports of conditions “completely misrepresented”, while President Donald Trump dismissed suggestions the sailors had been at sea too long, telling reporters on Friday: “Not nearly long enough.”

The USS Lincoln deployment, which was originally set to end in May, has been repeatedly extended. The personnel have reportedly been at sea without a port call for over 200 consecutive days.

Maryland’s Democratic Governor Wes Moore, a US Army veteran, told CNN on Sunday that the reported conditions were “heartbreaking” and the Republican president should have “more compassion”.

If you have been affected by any of the issues raised in this story you can visit BBC Action Line. Help and support outside the UK can be found at Befrienders Worldwide, external or you can call the US Suicide and Crisis Lifeline on 988.

Read More

Previous Post

Vikings Safety Jamal Adams Reportedly Suffers Season-Ending Knee Injury

Next Post

Nikkei 225 stalls at 61.8% Fib level: Live hourly levels

Next Post
Nikkei 225 stalls at 61.8% Fib level: Live hourly levels

Nikkei 225 stalls at 61.8% Fib level: Live hourly levels

ADVERTISEMENT
Facebook Twitter Instagram Youtube LinkedIn

Explore the Geneva Times

  • About us
  • Contact us

Contact us:

editor@thegenevatimes.ch

Visit us

© 2023 -2024 Geneva Times| Desgined & Developed by Immanuel Kolwin

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Editorial
  • Switzerland
  • Europe
  • International
  • UN
  • Business
  • Sports
  • More
    • Article
    • Tamil

© 2023 -2024 Geneva Times| Desgined & Developed by Immanuel Kolwin