• Login
Friday, May 22, 2026
Geneva Times
  • Home
  • Editorial
  • Switzerland
  • Europe
  • International
  • UN
  • Business
  • Sports
  • More
    • Article
    • Tamil
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Editorial
  • Switzerland
  • Europe
  • International
  • UN
  • Business
  • Sports
  • More
    • Article
    • Tamil
No Result
View All Result
Geneva Times
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Editorial
  • Switzerland
  • Europe
  • International
  • UN
  • Business
  • Sports
  • More
Home Sports

Álvaro Arbeloa Confirms Real Madrid Exit Amid Talk Of José Mourinho’s Return

GenevaTimes by GenevaTimes
May 22, 2026
in Sports
Reading Time: 2 mins read
0
Álvaro Arbeloa Confirms Real Madrid Exit Amid Talk Of José Mourinho’s Return
0
SHARES
0
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter


Álvaro Arbeloa confirmed what many soccer fans in Spain had taken for granted for weeks — he won’t be Real Madrid’s coach beyond the final game of the season on Saturday.

When asked in a press conference Friday if the game against Athletic Bilbao would be his last, Arbeloa said “yes.”

Arbeloa had been widely expected to be on his way out after he was unable to steer the team to a title this season following his promotion from the club’s reserve team in January to replace the fired Xabi Alonso.

Madrid lost to a second-division opponent in the Copa del Rey in Arbeloa’s debut. It then exited the Champions League quarterfinals to Bayern Munich, and will finish second in La Liga to Barcelona.

Álvaro Arbeloa was expected to be an interim coach, barring an unexpected result.  (Photo By Joaquin Corchero/Europa Press via Getty Images)

It was assumed that unless the team did spectacularly well under Arbeloa that he would be an interim coach until the club could find a better option in the offseason.

And so it is playing out, with Spanish media rife with reports that Madrid is seriously considering bringing back José Mourinho for a second stint 13 years after he coached the club.

Mourinho has coached Benfica this campaign but recently said he will decide his future soon.

Arbeloa, 43, said that he will seek “new challenges” after having learned from his first major coaching job.

“I have already made the leap, improved greatly over these four months, and I feel prepared for new challenges,” Arbeloa said. “Starting Monday, I will think about them.”

Reporting by The Associated Press.

Read More

Previous Post

Swiss pensioner dies after driverless delivery van accident in Zurich

Next Post

Turkish opposition fights court ousting of leaders in ruling boosting Erdoğan

Next Post
Turkish opposition fights court ousting of leaders in ruling boosting Erdoğan

Turkish opposition fights court ousting of leaders in ruling boosting Erdoğan

ADVERTISEMENT
Facebook Twitter Instagram Youtube LinkedIn

Explore the Geneva Times

  • About us
  • Contact us

Contact us:

editor@thegenevatimes.ch

Visit us

© 2023 -2024 Geneva Times| Desgined & Developed by Immanuel Kolwin

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Editorial
  • Switzerland
  • Europe
  • International
  • UN
  • Business
  • Sports
  • More
    • Article
    • Tamil

© 2023 -2024 Geneva Times| Desgined & Developed by Immanuel Kolwin