• Login
Monday, May 18, 2026
Geneva Times
  • Home
  • Editorial
  • Switzerland
  • Europe
  • International
  • UN
  • Business
  • Sports
  • More
    • Article
    • Tamil
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Editorial
  • Switzerland
  • Europe
  • International
  • UN
  • Business
  • Sports
  • More
    • Article
    • Tamil
No Result
View All Result
Geneva Times
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Editorial
  • Switzerland
  • Europe
  • International
  • UN
  • Business
  • Sports
  • More
Home Sports

Neymar Furious At Accidental Sub Ahead Of Brazil’s World Cup Squad Announcement

GenevaTimes by GenevaTimes
May 17, 2026
in Sports
Reading Time: 3 mins read
0
Neymar Furious At Accidental Sub Ahead Of Brazil’s World Cup Squad Announcement
0
SHARES
0
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter


An apparent mistake by the fourth official forced Neymar off the field during Santos’ 3-0 home loss to Coritiba in a Brazilian league match on Sunday, the last chance for the star striker to impress before Brazil’s World Cup squad is announced.

The 34-year-old Neymar, who has struggled to be fit since he tore his ACL in October 2023, has tried for more than a year to show Brazil coach Carlo Ancelotti he deserves a place in the squad.

The incident took place in the 65th minute, when Coritiba was already leading 3-0 and Neymar, whose form has improved in recent weeks, was having a quiet match for relegation-threatened Santos.

Santos’ forward #10 Neymar receives medical attention during the Brazilian league football match between Santos and Coritiba at the Neo Quimica Arena in Sao Paulo, Brazil, on May 17, 2026. (Photo by NELSON ALMEIDA / AFP via Getty Images)

Neymar was on the field having his right calf sprayed by a doctor when the referee told him to go to the sidelines, where the treatment continued.

In a matter of seconds, the fourth official raised the substitution board which indicated that No. 10 — Neymar — would be leaving for Robinho Jr., who immediately stepped onto the pitch.

“I knew Robinho was coming in, but I wasn’t even watching it,” Neymar said. “I didn’t know I had been substituted, I had not seen the board. It was a very serious mistake by the officials, by the fellow who puts the numbers on the board.”

Santos coach Cuca and Neymar himself informed the fourth official and referee Paulo Cesar Zanovelli that a mistake had been made with defender Gonzalo Escobar — No. 31 jersey — the intended player to be substituted.

Zanovelli gave Neymar a yellow card for refusing to accept the substitution. The striker then took the official substitution request sheet and showed it to broadcasters at the Neo Quimica Arena in Sao Paulo, with Escobar’s number on it instead of his own.

“It is a mistake (of the fourth official) indeed. But it wasn’t the reason why we lost, it would be unfair to place blame on this,” Santos coach Cuca said in a press conference.

Brazil’s soccer confederation, which organizes the country’s league, is yet to comment publicly about the incident.

Ancelotti will announce Brazil’s squad on Monday in Rio de Janeiro.

Brazilian media reports said that Neymar’s chances of being in the 26-player squad have increased recently because his inclusion is favored by other players who Ancelotti is certain to take to the World Cup.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Read More

Previous Post

US Lets Russian Oil Waiver Linked To Iran War Expire, Reimposing Sanctions

Next Post

JSW Steel, along with JVs, target 80 mt capacity by 2030: Joint MD & CEO Jayant Acharya

Next Post
JSW Steel, along with JVs, target 80 mt capacity by 2030: Joint MD & CEO Jayant Acharya

JSW Steel, along with JVs, target 80 mt capacity by 2030: Joint MD & CEO Jayant Acharya

ADVERTISEMENT
Facebook Twitter Instagram Youtube LinkedIn

Explore the Geneva Times

  • About us
  • Contact us

Contact us:

editor@thegenevatimes.ch

Visit us

© 2023 -2024 Geneva Times| Desgined & Developed by Immanuel Kolwin

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Editorial
  • Switzerland
  • Europe
  • International
  • UN
  • Business
  • Sports
  • More
    • Article
    • Tamil

© 2023 -2024 Geneva Times| Desgined & Developed by Immanuel Kolwin