• Login
Thursday, February 19, 2026
Geneva Times
  • Home
  • Editorial
  • Switzerland
  • Europe
  • International
  • UN
  • Business
  • Sports
  • More
    • Article
    • Tamil
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Editorial
  • Switzerland
  • Europe
  • International
  • UN
  • Business
  • Sports
  • More
    • Article
    • Tamil
No Result
View All Result
Geneva Times
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Editorial
  • Switzerland
  • Europe
  • International
  • UN
  • Business
  • Sports
  • More
Home International

Kennedy Center seeks $1m from musician who cancelled after Trump name added to venue

GenevaTimes by GenevaTimes
December 29, 2025
in International
Reading Time: 4 mins read
0
Kennedy Center seeks m from musician who cancelled after Trump name added to venue
0
SHARES
0
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter


Watch: President Trump’s name added to facade of Kennedy Center

The head of the Kennedy Center in Washington DC has demanded $1m (£740,000) in damages from a musician who cancelled a concert after US President Donald Trump’s name was added to the venue.

Chuck Redd called off his Christmas Eve performance, which he has hosted annually since 2006, citing a vote by the board to rename the site the Trump Kennedy Center.

The centre’s president Richard Grenell wrote in a letter that the cancellation was a “political stunt” and “has cost us considerably”. Redd did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Shortly after taking office, Trump fired several of the board members and replaced them with allies, who then voted to make Trump chairman of the board.

Grenell wrote in his letter to Redd that his no-show was “classic intolerance and very costly to a non-profit Arts institution”.

He added: “Your dismal ticket sales and lack of donor support, combined with your last-minute cancellation has cost us considerably.

“This is your official notice that we will seek $1m in damages from you for this political stunt.”

Last week, the White House announced the centre’s board had voted unanimously to rename the cultural institution as The Donald J Trump and John F Kennedy Memorial Center for the Performing Arts.

A day later, crews could be seen etching the president’s name onto the building’s façade. Its website and some social media accounts were also renamed.

The White House said the renaming effort was in recognition of Trump’s actions to renovate the building, but the move was criticised by Democrats, several artists and members of the Kennedy family.

“When I saw the name change on the Kennedy Center website and then hours later on the building, I chose to cancel our concert,” Redd, a drummer and vibraphone player, told the Associated Press news agency earlier this week.

Bloomberg via Getty Images A new sign reads "The Donald Trump And The John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts" at the Kennedy Center in Washington, DC, US, on Friday, Dec. 19, 2025.Bloomberg via Getty Images

New sign at the Kennedy Center

Congresswoman Joyce Beatty, a Democrat from Ohio, recently filed a lawsuit seeking to remove Trump’s name from the centre.

She argued in her lawsuit that, because the centre was named in a 1964 law, changing its name should require “an act of Congress”.

The lawsuit says Beatty had phoned into the meeting about the name change, but was muted when she tried to voice her opposition. She is one of several lawmakers designated as members of the board by US law.

Work on a national performing arts centre began in the 1950s, and after Kennedy, the 35th president, was assassinated in 1963, Congress decided to turn it into a living memorial to him.

Read More

Previous Post

2025 CFP Odds: Best Bet for Indiana-Alabama

Next Post

Infrastructure spending declines 40% in October

Next Post
Infrastructure spending declines 40% in October

Infrastructure spending declines 40% in October

ADVERTISEMENT
Facebook Twitter Instagram Youtube LinkedIn

Explore the Geneva Times

  • About us
  • Contact us

Contact us:

editor@thegenevatimes.ch

Visit us

© 2023 -2024 Geneva Times| Desgined & Developed by Immanuel Kolwin

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Editorial
  • Switzerland
  • Europe
  • International
  • UN
  • Business
  • Sports
  • More
    • Article
    • Tamil

© 2023 -2024 Geneva Times| Desgined & Developed by Immanuel Kolwin