• Login
Monday, February 16, 2026
Geneva Times
  • Home
  • Editorial
  • Switzerland
  • Europe
  • International
  • UN
  • Business
  • Sports
  • More
    • Article
    • Tamil
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Editorial
  • Switzerland
  • Europe
  • International
  • UN
  • Business
  • Sports
  • More
    • Article
    • Tamil
No Result
View All Result
Geneva Times
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Editorial
  • Switzerland
  • Europe
  • International
  • UN
  • Business
  • Sports
  • More
Home International

Illinois Governor wins $1.4 million in Las Vegas

GenevaTimes by GenevaTimes
October 17, 2025
in International
Reading Time: 2 mins read
0
Illinois Governor wins .4 million in Las Vegas
0
SHARES
0
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter


A US Governor took home $1.4m (£1m) in a gambling windfall last year, a copy of his recent tax filing shows.

JB Pritzker is reported to have won the sum while playing blackjack at a casino in Las Vegas while on holiday with his wife and friends.

The two-term Democrat already has a net worth of $3.9bn (£2.9bn), according to Forbes, and is an heir to the Hyatt Hotel fortune.

A campaign spokesperson told CBS, the BBC’s partner in the US, that Pritzker planned to donate the money to charity but did not respond when asked why he hadn’t already done so.

Speaking at a press conference on Thursday, the Illinois Governor described the win and himself as “incredibly lucky”.

“You have to be to end up ahead, frankly, going to a casino anywhere,” Pritzker added.

He previously founded a charitable Chicago Poker Challenge which he says has “raised millions of dollars” for the Illinois Holocaust Museum and Education Center.

Pritzker and his wife, Mary Kathryn, reported a total income of $10.6m (£7.8m) in 2024, mostly from dividends and capital gains. It’s understood they paid $1.6m (£1.1m) in taxes on taxable income of $5.87m (£4.36m).

He described his Sin City winnings as a “net number” across his trip. He declined to say what his winning hand was, according to CBS.

“Anybody who’s played cards in a casino knows, you often play for too long and lose whatever it is you won,” Pritzker said. “I was fortunate enough to have to leave before that happened.”

The governor has emerged as one of US President Donald Trump’s strongest critics of late, clashing with the president over the federal deployment of national troops to Chicago – actions which he called “authoritarian”.

Trump called for the jailing of the Illinois official, accusing him and Chicago Mayor Brandon Johnson of not doing enough to ensure the safety of federal immigration officers who are conducting raids in Chicago.

Pritzker intends to seek a third term in the governor’s mansion in 2026, it is understood, and has deflected questions about any ambition beyond his current position.

Read More

Previous Post

MP sounds alarm over crime rise

Next Post

Women Designers ‘Not Getting The Breaks’ Despite Global Fashion Shake-up

Next Post
Women Designers ‘Not Getting The Breaks’ Despite Global Fashion Shake-up

Women Designers 'Not Getting The Breaks' Despite Global Fashion Shake-up

ADVERTISEMENT
Facebook Twitter Instagram Youtube LinkedIn

Explore the Geneva Times

  • About us
  • Contact us

Contact us:

editor@thegenevatimes.ch

Visit us

© 2023 -2024 Geneva Times| Desgined & Developed by Immanuel Kolwin

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Editorial
  • Switzerland
  • Europe
  • International
  • UN
  • Business
  • Sports
  • More
    • Article
    • Tamil

© 2023 -2024 Geneva Times| Desgined & Developed by Immanuel Kolwin