• Login
Monday, February 16, 2026
Geneva Times
  • Home
  • Editorial
  • Switzerland
  • Europe
  • International
  • UN
  • Business
  • Sports
  • More
    • Article
    • Tamil
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Editorial
  • Switzerland
  • Europe
  • International
  • UN
  • Business
  • Sports
  • More
    • Article
    • Tamil
No Result
View All Result
Geneva Times
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Editorial
  • Switzerland
  • Europe
  • International
  • UN
  • Business
  • Sports
  • More
Home Europe

Trump says Spain should be ‘punished’ in second threat over Nato spend

GenevaTimes by GenevaTimes
October 15, 2025
in Europe
Reading Time: 2 mins read
0
Trump says Spain should be ‘punished’ in second threat over Nato spend
0
SHARES
0
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter



President Donald Trump has again threatened Spain, saying on Tuesday he was considering tariffs on the country as a punishment for failing to meet the five percent of GDP defence spending goal he engineered within Nato.

“I think it’s very disrespectful to Nato. In fact, I was thinking about giving them trade punishment through tariffs because of what they did, and I may do that,” Trump told reporters at the White House.

Trump suggested last week that Spain be expelled from Nato over its failure to match the higher defence spending requirement.

“We had one laggard, it was Spain,” Trump told reporters in the Oval Office. “They have no excuse not to do this, but that’s all right. Maybe you should throw them out of Nato frankly.”

READ MORE: Trump says Spain should be ‘thrown out’ of Nato over low defence spend

When he then met Pedro Sánchez on Monday in Egypt, the Spanish premier got plenty of mixed signals as the US leader first gave him the typically aggressive Trump handshake and later went on to say that Sánchez was doing “a fantastic job”. 

Advertisement

In June, the military alliance of 32 member states agreed to boost defence spending to five percent of annual economic output over the next decade under pressure from Trump.

But Spain, which was Nato’s lowest defence spender in relative terms last year, insisted it would not need to hit the headline figure.

READ MORE: Is Spain’s Nato defence spend really as low as Trump claims?

Sánchez has argued that Spain should meet its capacity objectives rather than fixed spending targets, including cybersecurity and the environment in his calculations.

After Trump’s expulsion threat, government sources in Madrid said on Friday that “Spain is a committed and full member of NATO. And it meets its capacity targets as much as the United States.”

With additional reporting by Alex Dunham, The Local Spain’s Editor

Read More

Previous Post

UN rights chief underlines need for a permanent ceasefire and accountability in Gaza

Next Post

Swiss citizen sentenced for bomb threats in Austria

Next Post
Swiss citizen sentenced for bomb threats in Austria

Swiss citizen sentenced for bomb threats in Austria

ADVERTISEMENT
Facebook Twitter Instagram Youtube LinkedIn

Explore the Geneva Times

  • About us
  • Contact us

Contact us:

editor@thegenevatimes.ch

Visit us

© 2023 -2024 Geneva Times| Desgined & Developed by Immanuel Kolwin

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Editorial
  • Switzerland
  • Europe
  • International
  • UN
  • Business
  • Sports
  • More
    • Article
    • Tamil

© 2023 -2024 Geneva Times| Desgined & Developed by Immanuel Kolwin